Tuesday, March 19, 2013

It's Done, It's Done!!!

INN-spiring Breakfasts.
I had no idea how much work this was going to end up being when I started over 3 years ago. I thought "Oh, just keep a file of the recipes you create, take a few pics...." you get the idea. WHEW! It's REALLY HARD to put a COOKBOOK together. You worry if you wrote down the right measurment, the right ingredient, put it in the right order, ect. You go back and you check, and check agian and then recheck yet again (you have to be somewhat of a chemist here!).

And then theres the 'reproducing' the product. It has to be reproducable so anyone following the recipe gets the same results. It's not something someone is going to read and lay down and walk away from. Its something that will be interacted with, reproduced, picked up  over and over again. Then there's the devotionals included. Are they encouraging? Are they uplifting? Are they going to mean anything??? These are all questions I have asked and asked.

 It also has to 'look' just right for the picture too. Even one wrong placed 'garnish' will make you throw out the picture and go back to the drawing board. Or... as I found out, even the color of the garnish, makes a difference. A strawberry might be the perfect garnish, BUT if its not red 'enough' its no good.

So finally, after editing, and editing again, and after having others go through and look for 'missed' things, we finally finished at about 12:30 AM! But we aren't done yet.... Yes it goes to the publisher today, but they have "professional" editors who will go through and edit.

My work still isn't done, there's all the marketing and selling that happens next. Yes, the publisher does most of that, but I am expected to do my part.

But am I excited? Nervous?  You bet I am. There's just something about not just seeing all your hard work finally come together and 'finished' product, But will it sell?  Will it be 'good enough' that someone... anyone... A STRANGER would want to pick it up and buy it? Will get good reviews?...  Will it get ANY reviews! LOL! That remains to be seen.

But, for now, the frantic hours in the kitchen are done, the late night edits are done. And I do have a freezer full from shoots, that I can pull out and use when needed. :)

There has also been lots of laughter while working on this cookbook. But, I'll save those stories for another post.

1 comment: